• slide

The Hotel Du Nord

A hotel with a rich history

The history of the Hotel Du Nord goes back to the early 19th Century with the advent of tourism in the region. Until then, Interlaken, or the “Bodeli” as it was known (from the name of the flat plain between the two lakes, which was created by glacial sediment from the mountain rivers), had been mainly visited by religious pilgrims or commercial travellers, who would stop to rest their weary legs in one of the few local hostels after the arduous journey over the mountains. This changed once the first tourists started visiting the Jungfrau Region, lured by the works of well-known writers and descriptions the first alpine farming festivals.

In 1814, the resourceful businessman and councillor Jakob Seiler recognised the potential of these new visitors and built the »Pension Seiler« at the eastern end of today’s Höhematte, on the historical foundations of the former convent. Ten years later, the hotel was renamed the »Pension du Casino« to cater to the health conscious crème de la crème of society, who would visit Interlaken’s Casino Kursaal for "whey cures". Scientists, alpinists, composers and poets - among them JW von Goethe, F. Mendelson-Bartholdy and Lord Byron – all came to marvel at the beauty of the mountains, which inspired their works, and in turn helped make the Jungfrau Region renowned far beyond the country's borders.

In 1891, Jakob Maurer from Thun acquired and renovated the old pension and reopened it as a contemporary hotel with 100 beds under the present name »Hotel du Nord. Over five generations of the Maurer family ran the hotel with great professionalism and love. Since 2006, the hotel has been owned by an Investor family, who is dedicated to continuing this tradition while updating the hotel to meet the high demands of a rapidly changing clientele.

Tourist Museum of the Jungfrau Region

If you would like to learn more about the development of tourism in the Jungfrau Region, then why not visit the Tourist Museum of the Jungfrau Region in Unterseen.

Address:

Obere Gasse 28, CH-3800 Unterseen / Interlaken
079 476 96 26 or 033 826 64 64
info@touristikmuseum.ch

Opening times:
1. May to 11. October 2015, Tuesday to Sunday
from 14.00 to 17.00.

Admission prices:
Adults CHF 5.-
With guest card CHF 4.-
Children Fr. 2.-


Concept, design & programming by netfuchs.ch · developed for concrete5.7 using Twitter Bootstrap & Font Awesome Icons.